- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 ounces Fat Toad Farm Salted Bourbon Goat’s Milk Caramel
- 2 1/2 cups half-and-half
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
1. To make sugar caramel mixture: Bring sugar and water to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Bring sugar water mixture to a boil, swirling pan occasionally without stirring (which prevents liquid from coloring unevenly) until liquid turns a dark amber color. Immediately divide liquid among 6 ramekins and swirl each ramekin to coat bottom and about halfway up the sides.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Put Fat Toad Farm Caramel and half-and-half in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer, stirring until smooth. Whisk together whole eggs and yolks in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in hot liquid. This is very important – do not talk to anyone about what pasture the goats are going to at this stage or your eggs will curdle!
3. Ladle or pour custard into ramekins.
4. Bake in a hot water bath that reaches half way up the ramekins until the edges are set but a small area in the center is still wobbly, 30 to 40 minutes.
5. Remove ramekins from water and cool at least 30 minutes (custard will continue to set). Un-mold just before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature